Past Events & Activities
2020 saw the world come to a standstill due to the global pandemic. Though this time was a challenging period for performing arts in general, we were encouraged to see the support that we managed to provide to artists through donations and grants, as well as both online and physical events that helped support our fellow musicians and performing artists. Below is a summary of all our activities for the 2020-2022 term:
(1) In September 2020, we attended WIPKK Vol 7.0, organised by Work In Progress Kota Kinabalu, a multidisciplinary platform for emerging talents to showcase and experiment their work, held at The Alchemist’s Cafe. The theme for their 7th edition was “Human Connection” and featured dancers, musicians, poets and artists. In attendance: Jasmine Leong and Hazli Bojili.
(2) We introduced Learn With SPArKS, an online learning platform to help performing artists leverage on the internet to share their craft with wider audiences. We hosted one workshop session every Saturday from 21st November to 19th December 2020, conducted by each SPArKS EXCO member! The workshops we conducted were:
Self Videography Tips with Jeremy Tan, The 2 Minute Monologue with Hazli Bojili, Rumba 101 with Joanna Liew, Musical Theatre Introduction with Jasmine Leong, and Tips for a Fun & Memorable Event with Lenore Lee.
(3) We supported The Room, an engaging and through-provoking online theatre performance by PitApat Theatre. It is a dialogue and mutual appreciation between the survivors and victims, penning a revolutionary poem for today’s democratic struggles. This performance was made available on the streaming platform Cloud Theatre on 7-9 May 2021. This performance was also supported by Program Penjana Malaysia, MyCreative Ventures and Cultural Economy Development Agency (CENDANA).
(4) We partnered with Cultural Economy Development Agency (CENDANA) to assist them in bringing their COVID-19 FOOD AID PROGRAMME to all performing artists. A collaboration between CENDANA and Yayasan Sime Darby, this food aid programme aims to assist all negatively impacted Malaysian artists, collectives, and art organisations within the performing arts, visual arts, independent music and craft sectors whose income were primarily dependent on gigs, exhibitions, productions, and services. We assisted to contact and remind all beneficiaries to collect the food vouchers from the appointed supermarkets (99 Speedmart & Bataras).
(5) The Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival (KKIFF) 2021 was back for its 12th edition and the second year running where it was held online, from 13 to 17 October 2021. Participants throughout Southeast Asia could catch all 38 films screened during the festival from the comfort of their own homes. The festival also consisted of a programme of short films that came through the collaboration with the Freedom Film Network and the Mini Film Fest, including 9 short films nominated by the judges for the Zoom10 Filmmakers’ Competition Awards, as well as webinars for budding filmmakers and film enthusiasts.
(6) Theatrethreesixty presented a brand-new production of Charles Dickens’ beloved Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol, adapted for the Malaysian stage by Natalie Makulin and Qahar Aqilah. The adaptation ran from 2 to 12 December 2021 at Nero Event Space, Petaling Jaya Performing Arts Centre (PJPAC). In attendance of the production were President May and Hazli Bojili.
(7) We assisted to promote applications to OneBeat Virtual, a fully virtual residency program that will take place from 11 July – 6 September 2022. During this 8-week period, OneBeat Fellows will investigate new forms of virtual collaboration, and work together to write, produce, and perform new musical works. All selected Fellows will attend virtual masterclasses and open-studios, participate in online workshops, and produce a final concert streamed to a global audience.
(8) Keeping our good relationship with the US embassy, President May Ng and Vice President Jasmine Leong had a discussion and lunch meeting with Shanon on Friday, 11th March 2022 to discuss on collaborating for upcoming events and concerts.